Following the Right Course for Fashion Design
by Karin Evans
Fashion School Review Columnist
April 18, 2005
Send to a friend | Printable Version
Having decided to take a fashion design course, your next step is to find the right school for you.
There are many schools in the US that offer excellent fashion design courses. And, if you prefer, you don't need to leave home; you can study fashion design online.
Wood Tobé-Coburn School
has a reputation for preparing high school graduates for real jobs, in the real world, in no time flat.
So how do you decide which is the right way for you?
Choosing the Right Course
Here are a few points to consider:
- What do you like to do in your leisure time?
- Think about what you like to do - playing sport, walking in the park, looking at architecture, shopping, or socializing in bars and restaurants - if you aren't able to do these things when you're at school, you're unlikely to enjoy it.
- How far from your family will you be?
- Do you want to be able to see your friends and family regularly or do you want to go to a place that is completely new, maybe even in another country?
- What sort of climate do you want?
- If you like to be outdoors a lot, there's no point going to a place that has bad winter weather.
Fashion Design Online
Studying fashion design online may not have been something you've thought of - people often think that fashion design has to be learnt in a classroom. But there are many excellent fashion design courses available online that provide a top-rate education and the flexibility to study where and when you want.
However you chose to study - whether on campus or online - there is a range of fashion design software available to support you in your studies and in beginning your career. Some forms of fashion design software cover the business side of fashion design such as costing and production scheduling. Others are for use in pattern making, illustration, coloring, texture mapping and such like.
So, there are plenty of ways to get your fashion design career started in the way that suits you best.
About the Author
Karin Evans works for a government agency researching and writing reports to inform policy. Her previous experience includes teaching, editing, and sales and marketing - all in the field of English Literature and Language. Karin has graduate and doctoral
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get the latest on careers and education in Fashion.