Fashion Design Schools Get You Hired
by Sarah Faulkner
Fashion School Review Columnist
April 25, 2007
Send to a friend | Printable Version
The results are in! Fashion design schools offer the best preparation for aspiring fashion designers. Colleges, universities, and community schools are now offering many affordable programs across the nation.
Fashion Design School Gives You Skills
Fashion design school helps you acquire the skills you need to get a job in fashion design. You'll learn about:
- Different kinds of fabrics, textiles, decoration and embellishments, as well as past and current fashion trends
- Variation in color, detail, balance, proportion
- Computer-generated fashion treatments versus hand-sketching
The Basics of the Fashion Degree
You've decided to go to fashion design school. What's next? The National Association of Schools of Art and Design accredits approximately 250 postsecondary institutions with programs in art and design. So earning your B.F.A or Associate's degree in Fashion Design has never been so convenient.
The Benefits of Fashion Design
Earning your fashion degree from fashion design school definitely pays off in the long run. Check out these statistics for fashion designers in May 2004:
- Median annual earnings were $55,840, with the highest 10 % of those designers earning more than $112,840.
- 1 out of 4 fashion designers were self-employed.
- Two-thirds of salaried fashion designers were employed in either New York or California.
Now has never been a more convenient and exciting time for those interested in a career in fashion design. If you're beginning to contemplate pursuing a fashion degree, why not explore design courses offered through online schools first? See how fashion design schools can help get you earn your fashion degree today.
About the Author
Sarah Faulkner teaches composition at Texas State University, San Marcos. Her previous resume includes covering municipal politics for The San Francisco Bay Guardian, and news and features for various bi-weekly newspapers. Sarah holds a B.A. in English fr
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get the latest on careers and education in Fashion.